1. Why do we exist? How are we making the world better?
Scope’s mission is to improve the lives of people living with HIV/AIDS and prevent new infections through medicine, faith, and community partnerships dedicated to outreach, education, and training.
2. How do we behave? (what are the 1-3 inviolable behaviors of this board and your fellows?)
3. What do we actually do? What business are we in?
4. What are our “anchors”—how do we evaluate opportunities and make decisions so that we keep succeeding? For example, these are three SeattleCoach anchors:
Choose work and partners that require us to be positive, flexible, personal, inspiring and engaged
Build in fair costs, low debt and generosity with time
Create a strong and professional reputation that people will recognize and trust
5. What is most important right now: the next 6-8 weeks? What is the one thing we need to in order to say we had a successful period? “If we don’t . . . we cannot even pretend that we did a good job.” This is our rallying cry.
6. Who needs to do what?
And then over-communicate and reinforce your answers in both your systems and in your behavior.